Help with functions

From: Fausto Arinos de A. Barbuto
Subject: Help with functions
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:50:56 -0600

Hello,

        Maybe I am too new to Octave, maybe I should read the 356-page
manual carefully or maybe I'm too dumb. Or all the above. :-)  However,
I have a question and thought you might help me.

        In Octave, if I do:

>> t = 0:0.01:2*pi
>> y = exp(-2.0*t)
>> z = cos(t)
>> plot (t, y, t, z)

        I get two nicely done plots of sin and cosine functions. However,
if I do:

>> t = 0:0.01:2*pi
>> y = exp(-2.0*t)
>> z = cos(t)
>> plot (t, y*z)

all I get is an error. I figured out already why this happens; it is
because "y" and "z" are arranged in 1xN matrices and the multiplication
of 1xN (N not equal to 1) by another 1xN matrix is not possible. Very
well. But then I am stuck. How do I plot a map of the exp(-2*t)*cos(t)
function? Defining w = exp(-2.0*t)*sin(t) doesn't help, either.

        The obvious question is then: how do I do that?

Many thanks in advance!

---Fausto
---