Re: generate AR(1) data

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: generate AR(1) data
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:23:28 -0500 (CDT)

Heber--

Do you mean that you know the desired variance-covariance matrix for the
normal vectors?  If so, use the Cholesky factorization method.

If V is your symmetric toeplitz matrix and it is k-by-k, say, and you want
to make n normal vectors of length k, then do this:

randn(n,k)*chol(V)

That produces n multivariate normal vectors of length k having the
variance-covariance structure V.  You can also do this sort of thing:

randn(100,4)*chol(toeplitz([1 .5 .25 .125]'))

Check like so:

corrcoef(randn(10000,4)*chol(toeplitz([1 .5 .25 .125]')))

Mike