Re: Unusual slowness with octave 2.1.42 for windows

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Unusual slowness with octave 2.1.42 for windows
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:52:08 -0400

Steven D Ratts wrote:

Hi,

 It will
eventually return and the results appear to be normal, but the lockups make
the system almost complete unusable.

Putting the following in your .octaverc helps:

   page_screen_output = 0

Is there anything that might possibly be in my environment or configuration
that could result in such extraordinary slowness?  No other machine I've
installed the windows version of octave on has behaved like this one, but
this is the one I've got for my desktop machine in my office, so I'd really
like it to run normally.

Your other machines are not running windows 9x.

 BTW, this laptop is running Windows 98, if that
matters.

It does.  Fork works very poorly for me in Windows ME.
Yes it freezes the mouse on startup, and whenever I start
a separate application, such as texinfo or less or gnuplot.
It's worse if you compile with --enable-shared because
then it gives you a scary sounding but harmless error box
that you have to click away for _every_ loaded oct-file.

I tried to make a more minimal example by extracting just the
src/system.c file from octave and compiling its builtin
test function, but it doesn't produce such bad behaviour as
octave.  It's also not 7 megabytes either, which might have
something to do with it.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden