Re[2]: Newbie symbol font question

From: Shan G. Smith
Subject: Re[2]: Newbie symbol font question
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:23:41 -0700 (MST)

I had better luck using the pslatex output like this:

gset terminal pslatex color auxfile
gset output "/home/shan/LaTeX/mat423/prob.tex"
gset xlabel "$t$"
gset ylabel "$y(t)$"
gplot actual with points title "data",\
plotdata title "",plotdata title "$y(t) = cos(2.77453-0.13031t+2.66623t^2)$"
gset output

This produces two files, a tex file and a postscript file. You then include it in your LaTeX document something like this:

\begin{figure}[h]
{\centering\resizebox{\columnwidth}{!}{{\input{prob.tex}}}}
\caption{\label{trivial}System Used to Verify Function of Algorithms.}
\end{figure}

The tex file brings the postscript file with it. This method has produced the most desirable results for me. The fonts used in the plots are the same used in the document which improves the overall document appearance IMHO.

Shan

Manojit Roy <address@hidden> wrote:
I am trying the following typical set of commands:

octave> gplot data u 1:3 title "$\\delta=0$"
octave> gset term latex
octave> gset output "test.tex"
octave> replot

On the Gnuplot screen it shows "$delta=0$", which is okay I guess. After
processing the tex file and creating "test.ps", it is showing "delta=0" in
italics, not the familiar greek symbol that one would expect.

Another minor(?) point: postscript files generated from a latex output
gives poorer quality graphics than one obtained directly from a postscript
output. Is there any get-around of this problem? I also tried setting term
to pslatex, but ghostview cannot open the output file. Thanks for helping.

Manojit

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Quentin Spencer wrote:

> If I understand correctly, you're trying to get the greek characters
> alpha and delta, which you could get by using the commands \alpha and
> \delta in MATLAB. As far as I know, gnuplot does not have the capability
> to display these characters on the screen, but you can use LaTeX
> commands to get the greek characters in some output formats, such as
> xfig. Unlike MATLAB, you would need to put "$" characters before and
> after the commands to put LaTeX into math mode. Also, because octave's
> string processing commands treat "\" as a special character, you may
> need to use "\\" instead of "\". See the recent discussion on the
> mailing list about this.
>
> Quentin

Manojit Roy, Ph.D.
EEB, University of Michigan