Re: Newbie symbol font question

From: Manojit Roy
Subject: Re: Newbie symbol font question
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:42:58 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying the following typical set of commands:

octave> gplot data u 1:3 title "$\\delta=0$"
octave> gset term latex
octave> gset output "test.tex"
octave> replot

On the Gnuplot screen it shows "$delta=0$", which is okay I guess. After
processing the tex file and creating "test.ps", it is showing "delta=0" in
italics, not the familiar greek symbol that one would expect.

Another minor(?) point: postscript files generated from a latex output
gives poorer quality graphics than one obtained directly from a postscript
output. Is there any get-around of this problem? I also tried setting term
to pslatex, but ghostview cannot open the output file. Thanks for helping.

Manojit

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Quentin Spencer wrote:

> If I understand correctly, you're trying to get the greek characters
> alpha and delta, which you could get by using the commands \alpha and
> \delta in MATLAB. As far as I know, gnuplot does not have the capability
> to display these characters on the screen, but you can use LaTeX
> commands to get the greek characters in some output formats, such as
> xfig. Unlike MATLAB, you would need to put "$" characters before and
> after the commands to put LaTeX into math mode. Also, because octave's
> string processing commands treat "\" as a special character, you may
> need to use "\\" instead of "\". See the recent discussion on the
> mailing list about this.
>
> Quentin

Manojit Roy, Ph.D.
EEB, University of Michigan