Re: ylabel woes

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: ylabel woes
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:56:54 -0600

John W. Eaton wrote:

Changing this for compatibility might be a big mess.  Is it worth it?
I don't know.  It seems much less consistent to have only some
functions process escape sequences instead of doing what C does, and
having the parser recognize the escape sequences when creating
character strings.
I don't see the need to modify how things are done. I didn't know about undo_string_escapes, and I suspect that using it in some of the octave-forge functions will eliminate the need for ever using more than a "\\". This doesn't bother me, while using 8 "\" characters does a little. Plotting functions already have enough differences from Matlab that this difference is probably not consequential. Even if other incompatibilities were fixed, the output generated still requires TeX postprocessing, so the process is still fundamentally different from Matlab, and probably should remain unmodified.