Re: How to run Octave under Redhat 9.0

From: Ben Harris
Subject: Re: How to run Octave under Redhat 9.0
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:39:00 -0500

Hello there.

Perhaps you have already been helped. Just in case you haven't...

When you install RedHat, you have the ability to determine which "packages"
are installed. If you are about to install a system with RH 9.0, then
during the process make sure you specify the octave package to be
installed. If you've already installed RH 9.0, and octave is not installed,
then you can install it. If you've the RH 9.0 disks, you can install it
from the RPM directory (sorry I don't know where that is) with a command
like this:

rpm -ivh octave-2.1.4xxxxxx.rpm

Of course you have to be root to do this. If you don't have the disks then
you can obtain the correct RPM from RedHat directly or from a RPM-locator
website, e.g, rpmfind.net. If you are just beginning with RH, then I do not
recommend this--get the disks. It can be confusing which package to pick.

If you need more help drop me a line--perhaps this is best discussed off of
the mailing list.

Hope this helps,
Ben

                      "WANG, LINGYUN"

                      <address@hidden        To:       <address@hidden>

                      utexas.edu>                cc:

                                                 Subject:  How to run Octave
under Redhat 9.0
                      05/17/2003 05:11 PM

Dear forks,
I am a newer to Linux and Octave.
I heard that Redhat 9.0 comes with Octave. But I have no idea how to
install it.
Thanks!
Have a good day.