Re: further Mac OS X woes

From: Jonathan King
Subject: Re: further Mac OS X woes
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:16:57 -0500

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Heber Farnsworth wrote:

> I mentioned in a previous email that 2.1.40 gives strange results on a
> Mac.  I downloaded 2.1.46 and tried to build it but I ran into
> problems.  It complained that I needed readline 4.2 or later.  So I
> used apt-get and installed readline 4.3.  But configure still complains
>
> checking for rl_set_keyboard_input_timeout in -lreadline... no
> configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later
> configure: error: this is fatal unless you specify --disable-readline
>
> whassup?

I think errors like this usually happen because you aren't finding the
library you just installed (yes, and for wisdom like this, you pay
nothing! :-)).  I do know that when installing postgresql, another
Readline-using application, the magic bullet is to tell configure where to
look:

./configure --with-includes=/sw/include/ --with-libraries=/sw/lib

If this doesn't solve the problem, I'm not sure of the answer.

jking