fink octave problems

From: Heber Farnsworth
Subject: fink octave problems
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:58:28 -0500

I recently got a new powerbook (these things are so cool) and today I wanted to install octave on it so I could do some of the work I usually do on my Linux box on the laptop while I travel,etc. So I installed fink and got gnuplot and octave-2.1.40. Everything seemed to work fine. Then I ran a short job that I had run previously on my Linux box and was horrified to find that the results were not the same.

After thinking for a bit I remember a while back that someone had complained of numerical inaccuracies with octave on ppc and that it was fixed in a newer version.

Questions:

1.  If this is the case then why doesn't fink have the working version?
2.  Is there any way I can get a binary?
3. If I have to build it myself do I need anything else besides the developer tools from Apple?

Heber