Java interface to Octave

From: David Smith
Subject: Java interface to Octave
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 17:14:22 -0500

Sorry to blunder into your mailing list.  I have some questions.

I am an Octave novice, having just downloaded and installed the latest Octave on my Windows box. However, I have some familiarity with Matlab. In fact, I am prototyping a freshman class that mixes Matlab and Java, using Matlab's smooth-as-silk Java interfaces. Of course, the stumbling block is the Matlab license fee. I want to explore replacing Matlab with Octave. Hence the questions:

1. The Octave documents allude to the fact that there is a C++ wrapper that can be used to invoke Java programs. Is that freely available, or do I need to get all the GNU C++ stuff and do it myself?

2. If this wrapper is available would I be able to understand how to use it?

3. I also couldn't find any info on what the user interface is doing when I create a plot file. It seems to allow me to zoom in, but I can't seem to get "un-zoomed."

                        DMS

David M. Smith http://www.cc.gatech.edu/fac/David.Smith
Georgia Institute of Technology
College of Computing