Re: How to call Maxima functions from Octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: How to call Maxima functions from Octave
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 19:18:59 -0500

James Amundson wrote:
On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 11:51, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 16-Feb-2003, Poul-Erik Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:

| I use Octave and the computer algebra system Maxima on Linux and
| Windows platforms. I use Octave for the numerical work and Maxima
| for my symbolic work.  I would like to merge the two program so that
| I could call Maxima functions from within Octave! Have you succede
| in doing this and how did you do it?

I don't know of any efforts to link maxima with Octave.  but if
anyone has plans to do something like this, I'd be interested in
knowing about your progress or any problems you've had.

I would also encourage anyone interested in such a project to talk to
me. Here are some relevant facts:
	1) I am the Maxima project leader.
	2) I use Octave every day in my work. (That's work as in "what I get
paid to do," not work as in "Maxima work.")
	3) I have spent a great deal of time thinking about ways that Maxima
and Octave might talk to each other, but have not come to any definite
conclusion.
	4) Some sort of Maxima-Octave communication is likely to be an official
part of Maxima some time in the future, but we have several more
pressing issues (read "bug fixing") to deal with first.

I should probably add:
	5) I am not on the help-octave list -- I just peruse the mailing-list
archives from time to time. Please cc responses sent to the list to me.

Please add comments to the octave wiki
  http://gnufans.net/octave.pl?CategorySymbolic
  http://gnufans.net/octave.pl?CategoryExternal

Paul Kienzle