Re: making octave-forge on OS X -- "forced strip"?

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: making octave-forge on OS X -- "forced strip"?
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 22:43:21 +0100

On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 10:05 PM, John O'Leary wrote:

Hi,
        I found the INSTALL.MacOSX file that came with octave-forge quite
useful

Thanks!

except for one line:

"Comment out forced strip command in extra/mex/Makefile"

Could someone tell me what a "forced strip command" is?  I've read
through that Makefile and I can't find any line that I could imagine
someone would call "forced strip."

Apparently that "forced strip" went away between version 1.4 and 1.5 some three months ago, docs need an update.
CVS diff if you're interested:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/octave/octave-forge/ extra/mex/Makefile.diff?r1=1.4&r2=1.5

("Forced" refers to the makefile overriding mkoctfile behaviour)

 Anyway, I built octave-2.1.40-1
using fink built from CVS sometime in the past couple days, and I
followed all the instructions in INSTALL.MacOSX for building
octave-forge except for the above-mentioned "forced strip" line.  After
a sane-looking run of the configure script, my attempts to make
octave-forge fail with the following messages:

g++ -c -no-cpp-precomp -I/sw/include -I/sw/include/octave-2.1.40
-I/sw/include/octave-2.1.40/octave -I/sw/include -g -O2 -Wall
-DHAVE_OCTAVE_21 mex.cc -o mex.o
mex.cc: In function `octave_value_list call_mex(callstyle, const
    octave_value_list&, int)':
mex.cc:504: parse error before `*' token
mex.cc:505: parse error before `*' token
mex.cc:506: `argin' undeclared (first use this function)
mex.cc:506: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each
function
    it appears in.)
mex.cc:507: `argout' undeclared (first use this function)
make[2]: *** [mex.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [mex/] Error 2
make: *** [extra/] Error 2
Does the above sound like something that would be fixed if I commented
out the forced strip line, or am I doing something else wrong?

Compiles OK here, updated from CVS about 5 min ago.
(Did you use CVS or tarball? What version of tarball in that case?)

Google
searches on "forced strip", naturally, returned a list of porn sites.

LOL!

/Per
Per Persson
Blekinge Institute of Technology
Dept. of Signal Processing and Telecommunications

www:   http://www.its.bth.se/staff/pee
e-mail: address@hidden