sorting "who" output by modification time

From: E. Joshua Rigler
Subject: sorting "who" output by modification time
Date: 14 Mar 2003 08:53:20 -0700

Has the idea of time-stamping variables, and giving the "who" command
the ability to sort them by creation/modification time ever been
suggested?  I can't count the number of times I've tried to type
something like "whos -lt" thinking I'll get something similar to a UNIX
"ls" command.

This would probably be more useful for those of us who spend too much
time working at the prompt, and endlessly tweaking parameters by hand,
than it would to those who are organized enough to write the appropriate
scripts and functions, but I imagine that includes more of us than we'd
like to admit ;^).

I'm probably being naive, but this seems like it would be a relatively
transparent change (with regards to M*tlab compatibility, anyway), and
there must be something along these lines already implemented for
functions, since Octave checks time-stamps on *.m files to see if they
need to be recompiled each time they are called.

Sorry if this has been talked about before.  I did both a google and
octave archive search on the keywords "who[s]", "sort", and "time", but
to no avail.

...just a thought.

-EJR