Conversion *from* ASCII date?

From: Eric M. Monsler
Subject: Conversion *from* ASCII date?
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:56:41 -0600

Hi,

I am trying to use Octave to parse and plot the text output of some other data collections.

The file format is very simple, each line has a datestamp and then tab-separated fields.

The problem is that I can't find in the documentation how to parse the datestamp. The format of the datestamp is as follows:

03/12/2003 22:12:28.209

Is there any standard Octave way to parse this?

Or, has anyone written code to do so that they could share?

I don't need to do anything very sophisticated with the time, but sometimes the reporting interval varies and it would be nice to plot these correctly. The sub-second resolution is of less importance, although it would be nice.

I did try to search the mailing list archives, but got zero matches until I was down to just "date", which of course matched apparently everything.

Please cc: me on replies, as I am not on the mailing list.

Thanks,

Eric Monsler