Help with porting Octave?

From: Ben Harris
Subject: Help with porting Octave?
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:34:13 -0600

Hello there,

I am in the process of porting Octave to the Agenda VR3 PDA. I have run
into a few roadblocks and I was wondering if you would guide me.

Question 1: When I run configure I get this message: configure: "warning: I
found f2c but not libf2c.a, or libF77.a and libI77.a." I actually have
built the library libf2c--what is the right way for me to tell the
configure script where to find it?  All I have ever done before is type
"./configure" but now I have a more difficult situation to deal with. I
have to use a fork of gcc 3.0 that targets the Agenda with the "snow"
operating system version. There is no equivalent fortran cross-compiler for
"snow."

Question 2. It seems that in versions of Octave after 2.1.35, cross
compilation is supported. This is great--it is a pain to know which
programs (e.g. munge-texi) need to compile and run for x386 , and which are
for the VR3 (like octave!). But I am having difficulty adapting my
cross-compiler to it. When I configure Octave I get this interesting
message...

bash-2.05b$ ./configure --with-f2c --without-blas --disable-readline
configure: loading site script /opt/snow-gcc/config.site
checking for gcc... /opt/snow-gcc/bin/mipsel-linux-gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C
compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.

How do I tell configure how to use this cross-compiler? I have tried --host
mipsel-linux and it doesn't work.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ben Harris
Engineering Scientist
Applied Research Laboratories