Re: compatability- lsim() suggestions?

From: Raymond Rogers
Subject: Re: compatability- lsim() suggestions?
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 10:32:24 -0800

Paul Kienzle wrote:
Raymond Rogers wrote:

A S Hodel wrote:

Then a year later MATLAB came out with the tf, ss, zpk functions, etc., using MATLAB's new object-oriented programming capabilities and a whole new way for Octave and MATLAB to be incompatible was born. Pretty clever, eh? Now that raises some pretty involved (pronounced "labor intensive") issues in how to make Octave and MATLAB "compatible." Given that only one part of that team (and only part of that part) is interested in pure MATLAB compatibility, some thought needs to be put here - including
thoughts toward backward compatibility.

"Exciting - isn't it?"  Draal, Babylon 5.

Thanks for the information. Knowing that I will just convert the offending code over to the new form. This should avoid compatability problems ( of this sort) and be transparent. ss2sys is a function in Matlab isn't it? I can't seem to find it in my version; version 4.0

The function is called ss in matlab and ss2sys in octave.
The interface is a bit different.
You could:

 (a) write code which does a runtime check and calls
  either ss or ss2sys,

 (b) write an install script that converts from ss2sys to
  sys when installing in matlab  (or vice versa),

 (c) write ss for octave and add it to octave or
   octave-forge, or

 (d) write ss2sys for matlab and install it if needed.

Thanks, although I feel like I am back in some elections where I have to pick the lesser of evils.
b) Is out; I see nothing but trouble
a) is fine; except I don't know how to do it. Maybe after I recieve the GNU Octave book. c) Is fine and benenficial; but I incur a maintenence responsibility (and expose my coding for all to see). I am reminded of Knuth's comments where he spent 1-2 years on a OS project, somebody asked him to describe the result, he was so embarassed he took twice as long to clean it up for presentation (as I recall). d) Well... I would rather build up Octave, but it would build up compatability. If anyone ever knew about it.

I will cheat for a while, and wait for the book.

Ray

Ray