Re: Octave problem

From: torsten
Subject: Re: Octave problem
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 00:50:02 -0500

>If you are going to ask for help on this list,
>TELL US WHAT YOU ARE USING!
>
>Here are the minimum:
>- What version of octave
>- Did you compile it?
>- What is a binary distribution? If so, where did it come from?
>- What options did you choose when compiling/installing.
>- Do you have a recipe to cause the problem?
>
>Additionally, the subject should be more informative
>than "Octave problem".
>
>Sorry to vent this frustration on your question,
>but this request-without-useful-info is becomming
>extremely common.

Andy, relax.  Everyone learns sometimes, and basic questions
always seem silly to the experienced.  Also, you didn't even
try to help after the vent.

If you dislike answering common questions, write a FAQ.  That
way, you only answer the same question once.  Then
just reply with a link, rather than blasting the hell
out of newbies.  You are not superior.

To Miguel, sorry, I can't help too much.  The path that is
there
> /usr/share/octave/2.1.36/m/strings/findstr.m: No such file or directory
is a UNIX style pathname, not Windows.  I'm not sure if the path conversion
takes place in the compiler, or where.  I believe that octave
gets compiled for Windows with the Cygnus toolset, which emulates
a UNIX-like environment in Windows.

>From where did you get the compiled version of Octave?

Torsten