Blocking I/O to gnuplot pipe

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Blocking I/O to gnuplot pipe
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:11:46 -0600

On 14-Feb-2003, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| So, what I wanted to know. Is there a file descriptor for the gnuplot
| pipe in a script file?  Can I use "fcntl" on it to clear the
| O_NONBLOCK flag?

I don't think there is really a solution for this problem (other than
fixing gnuplot, or perhaps giving up on it entirely for Octave).  Even
if you delete the file as soon as gnuplot has opened it the first time,
then replot will fail.  And how do you know that gnuplot will have it
opened immediately after you send the command, even with blocking I/O?
Isn't there still a race condition?

BTW, you might also think that it would be better to use gnuplot's
ability to read data in the command stream, but that has other
problems that are just about as bad.

jwe