building octave 2.1.43

From: Dan Hitt
Subject: building octave 2.1.43
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 00:59:25 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I was unable to compile octave 2.1.43 with shared libraries (but
building without shared libraries works fine for me).

My shared library setup is red hat 7.3, gcc 3.2, and configure command

../../src/octave-2.1.43/configure --prefix=/home/otave/i2.1.43 --with-g77
--enable-shared --enable-dl

The first problem shows up in a linking command:
g++ -shared -Wl,-soname -Wl,liboctave.so -o liboctave.so \
  <<<many, many .o files from pic>>> ../kpathsea/SHARED/*.o

It conks out at this point because although the kpathsea directory
exists, there is no SHARED subdirectory.

Now, i can make a SHARED subdirectory, and put a .o file in it
(from compiling an empty c file).  When i do this, the compilation
can continue with many more commands, but later fails in
with undefined references in ../liboctave/liboctave.so (to
kpathsea_debug, and 9 symbols whose names all start with kpse_).

These problems vanish if i configure with the command
  ../../src/octave-2.1.43/configure --prefix=/home/otave/i2.1.43 --with-g77
and in that case i can make and make install uneventfully.

Thanks in advance for any info, references, or advice.

dan