Re: Why is sscanf() so slow?

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: Why is sscanf() so slow?
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:41:58 -0600

> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>
> > Please see below for the function aload.m from the octave-ci collection by
> > Kurt Horik et al; I used to use this a lot.  It essentially pre-processes
> > the data first, and then uses a normal load (in ascii mode). I never quite
> > figure out why JWE didn't include it into Octave itself when he chose to
> > include other octave-ci functions.  Anyway, there is a Debian package of
> > octave-ci, a tarball in Vienna, Austria. Paul Kienzel also has something
> > similar in octave-forge.

(Apologies to Paul and Kurt for the typos. I need to work on my typing skills.)

> Thank you for the quick response.  The 'aload' function looks very useful.
> Unfortunately I cannot use it out of the box right now, because the data I
> am currently working at is tab seperated and also contains empty lines.
>
> Just now I cannot think of a proper modification of 'aload.m' to get it
> working with this kind of data.  Do you?

Should be easy -- just modify the existing grep/sed constructs in aload.m.
Substitute Perl, Python or whatever you are comfortable with.

Dirk

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all signatures are totally worthless.