hdf5 support for more complex structures

From: Jonathan Dursi
Subject: hdf5 support for more complex structures
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:32:06 -0600

Hi:

We develop a CFD code (http://flash.uchicago.edu) that uses hdf5 as
a primary output format; our data files contain large multi-d arrays
of numbers, along with control information in more complex structures.
Right now, we mainly use commercial, propriatary data analysis tools to
analyze and visualize our data; for simple datasets, though, it would
be terrific to have an open alternative.

With octave 2.1.43, it looks like I can just about read in most of the
actual blocks of numbers, but everything else is of unknown datatypes.
Is there any plans to extend support for hdf5, or would someone who is
more knowledgable with the IO codebase be willing to point me in the
directions I'd need to go to start cobbling something together myself?

        - Jonathan
--
address@hidden