Re: How to input tabular data through a form?

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: How to input tabular data through a form?
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:29:08 -0800

Thanks, I've tried but no luck and as I said I don't really understand what
I'm doing anymore. Also apologies to the group that somehow there was no CC
to Octave_post of an earlier reply.

I'm disappointed that reading an Excel file into Octave is such a headache
on OS X for Mac (and PC?).

I DO have Octave installed on a hand-me-down PC but don't really need it
because I'm using PopTools:
PopTools - An Excel add-in for analysis of matrix population models,
simulation of stochastic processes and calculation of bootstrap and other
statistics that depend on random variables.
Free Download at http://www.cse.csiro.au/poptools/

I assume that there's a good reason that Octave is not available as an
add-in to Excel but can somebody please explain. I'm having such a hard time
with command-line-interface because I forget things from one day to the next
and really need a menu as an aid. It's so much easier to be able to
highlight a matrix in a spreadsheet and then use the menu to ask for the
calculation needed.  I'm sure that Octave does a lot more than PopTools but
PopTools does almost everything I need at the moment.

I was hoping that OS X for Mac would allow me to easily use Octave but it's
a struggle. What am I missing? I'm publishing papers in well-known
scientific journals (US Fishery Bulletin, Mar. Freshwater Res. (Australia),
pro bono as a retired physical chemist with some math background)  but I
cannot even manage to get an Excel 3x3 matrix into Octave.
Henry

octave:5> fid=fopen('Workbook.cvs');
octave:6> a=fscanf(fid,"%f,%f,%f\r",[3,inf])
error: fscanf: invalid stream number = -1
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 6, column 2