Re: Octave and PLPLOT Compile trouble with gcc 3.2

From: Joao Cardoso
Subject: Re: Octave and PLPLOT Compile trouble with gcc 3.2
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 00:52:35 +0000

On Thursday 16 January 2003 21:28, LEFEVRE Jérôme wrote:
> Hi MM. Kienzle & Cardoso,
> Hi Octave users,
>
> I have upgraded GCC from 2.95 to 3.2 and now i meet trouble with dynamics
> library and binding with PLPLOT, throught PLPLOT_OCTAVE.cc. (I'm root, i
> use matwrap too and distro is mandrake 9.0)
>
> 1/, When i install Octave (2.1.36), I declare this argument with configure
> : --enable-shared --enable-dl
>
> Octave compiles and seems to work fine but when i quit it, there is always
> a segmentation fault (!?).
>
> 2/ However, with PLPLOT, compile don't work, cause errors with
> plplot_octave.cc. I don't know why, cause with GCC 2.95, I have installed
> PLPLOT with success.

Try the following:

   mv plplot_octave.cc tmp_plplot_octave.cc
   sed 's/ string / std::string /' tmp_plplot_octave.cc > plplot_octave.cc

and recompile.
Don't forget the spaces around "string" and "std::string"

Anyway, a new release of plplot is due for this weekend, and these changes are
already incorporated.

> After web surfing, I see that many users have trouble with Gcc 3.2 and
> compiling software.

I have installed gcc-2.95.3 just because problems like this. That's pretty
easy and it does not conflicts with the system gcc, see at the end of this
message

> Before to send compile report, i ask :
>
> What may be wrong ??
> Do somebody have same trouble and know a rule (special GCC argument etc...)
> to avoid trouble with GCC 3.2 ?
>
> Best regards and happy greetings,
>
> jérôme Lefevre

Receipt to install gcc-2.95.3:

Get gcc-everything-2.95.3.tar.gz,  "./configure --enable-languages=c,c++,f77
--enable-shared --program-prefix=m", "make bootstrap-lean", wait an hour or
so, and then "make install".
The default gcc "configure" script will put the compiler in /usr/local/, and
it does not conflict with the system gcc-3.2.
Still, I renamed all executables by prepending "m" to their standard names:

mgcc
mcpp
mgcov
mprotoize
munprotoize
mg77
mc++
mc++filt
mg++

as I have /usr/local/bin at the head of my PATH and I want to use the system's
gcc by default.

Then, I just recompiled octave-2.1.36 by specifying "CC=mgcc CXX=mc++ F77=mg77
configure", make, make install (also in /usr/local/bin).