Re: multi-threaded octave?

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: multi-threaded octave?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:11:11 +0100

On onsdag, jan 15, 2003, at 02:06 Europe/Stockholm, Shahbaz Chaudhary wrote:

BTW, if I run octave on Apple's g4...will their vector technology
significantly speed up octave?  Thanks.

Presently the G4 vector instructions doesn't support double precision numbers per se but some nifty coding in Apple's vecLib gives a decent speed up of BLAS-routines.

Linking with vecLib is the default behaviour for octave on OS X, but unfortunately vecLib isn't multithreaded so if you have 2 CPU's you might want to use ATLAS instead. I did some tests a while back on a G4MP which indicated that vecLib was best for a single CPU and ATLAS for MP-machines.

Note that the above only applies to the BLAS/LAPACK routines, gcc doesn't perform any automatic vectorization of the code on a G4.

/Per