Re: multi-threaded octave?

From: Joao Cardoso
Subject: Re: multi-threaded octave?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:54:46 +0000

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 03:10, Paul Kienzle wrote:
> Shahbaz Chaudhary wrote:
> >Hi, I just installed Octave and it works great.  But as I was running a
> >particularly long computation, I noticed that it was only using one of
> >my cpus (my computer has two).  Apparently it is single threaded...is
> >there a multi-threaded version of the program?
>
> No.

Although octave is not threads aware, octave extensions (oct files) could be.
As an example, the tk:_octave at octave.sf.net needs pthreads, and a  PLplot
driver that plplot_octave uses also needs it.
But for this to work,  octave should be linked by default against the pthreads
library during build time. This would be advantageous for users and harmless
to Octave.
So I suggest that if at configure time the pthreads libraries are found then
they be linked with Octave by default.

Joao