multi-threaded octave?

From: Shahbaz Chaudhary
Subject: multi-threaded octave?
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:06:28 -0500

Hi, I just installed Octave and it works great.  But as I was running a
particularly long computation, I noticed that it was only using one of
my cpus (my computer has two).  Apparently it is single threaded...is
there a multi-threaded version of the program?

Actually I installed octave (and every thing it depended on) using
redhat RPMs (for my RH 7.3) system.  Later I found out about
ATLAS...while I was installing that it asked my about multiple threads.
Once I had configured and installed atlas, I ran my octave session
again, but didn't see any difference...I'm not sure if that is because
my pre-existing octave didn't even pickup the newly installed atlas.
Any way, if there is something I can do to improve performance
(especially since one of my cpus is going to waste), I'll appreciate it.

BTW, if I run octave on Apple's g4...will their vector technology
significantly speed up octave?  Thanks.

Shahbaz c.