Newbie question saving "worksheet"

From: John B. Thoo
Subject: Newbie question saving "worksheet"
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 09:53:49 -0800

Hi. First, many thanks to Bill L. and jwe for their help with solving lin sys and plotting yesterday; I feel I learnt a lot. (I have another plotting question, but I'll ask that later.) This morning, I'd like to ask about saving my work.

For example, in Maple one can save a "worksheet" that can be opened later and executed. Is this possible in Octave? The manual speaks to saving and loading on pp. 113ff and I tried "save -ascii ~/Desktop/test.oct", but the saved file doesn't appear to be what I want. (BTW, what filename extension should I use when saving an Octave file? As you can see, I used ".oct", but is there a more appropriate one?)

My current workaround is to copy my commands from Octave into a text editor to save them and to copy from the text editor into Octave to reuse them, but is there a better way?

TIA.

---John.