Re: "end" as array index?

From: Laurent Jacques
Subject: Re: "end" as array index?
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:52:44 +0100

On Saturday 21 December 2002 16:57, John W. Eaton wrote:
| Yes, but the original question above seemed to be asking "What does
| this mean and what is some equivalent code that will allow it to work
| in Octave?" not "Can you implement this in Octave so my code can work?".

Sorry. I did'nt read carefully the previous mail.

| Obviously, I think we know what it is supposed to do.  The question is
| how hard would it be to make it work in Octave?  The first few times I
| thought about this problem, the only solutions I could come up with
| involved large changes to the code for expressions, ranges, and
| indexing of matrices.  Yesterday I started thinking about how to do it
| again, and this time I saw a much simpler method, so the changes to do
| it should be checked in to CVS soon.  I'm glad I waited.  Implementing
| the first solutions I came up with a couple of years ago would have
| been very bad.

Thanks a lot. In fact, I would like one day to contribute to the octave code
but I don't know where to begin to understand how it works. I have to check
all the documentations refered on your SF site.

| | Laurent.
| | P.S. In fact I asked exactly the same question probably 9 months ago.
|
| jwe
|
| P.S.  Octave is free software.  Sometimes you have to wait a while
| until someone gets the urge to implement the features you request.
| There are some ways to get better or faster service, such as providing
| funding or adding the features yourself, but complaining about how
| long it takes to get someone else to do something for you for free is
| probably not one of them!

Of course. I know that. I participate already to several GPL programs. But I
have not said "nobody answered me" in my PS. It was just to say that this
"end" wish or question was not the first one. I had to precise my sentence.
Sorry for that.

Bye and thanks for your GPL work,
Laurent.