Re: octave-forge functions

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: octave-forge functions
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:25:55 -0600

> dear octave-helpers,
>
> I'm having problems with using octave-forge on my Debian
> Linux system.  The problem is that octave doesn't find the
> octave-forge functions. I would especially need the routines
> for sparse matrices. It says these are not defined, when I
> try to use them.
>
> I have used the precompiled Debian packages for octave and
> octave-forge. I have tried to set that variable LOADPATH
> appropriately, and read the documentation, but to no avail.
> This is probably something utterly trivial, so a small hint
> would probably help me further.

It works out of the box if you use the matching packages. That
is why I rebuilt octave-forge each time in the last few weeks
when octave marched from 2.1.36 to 2.1.37, .38 and now .39.

Else, Octave is looking for the (builtin) LOADPATH with its
version number -- which is apparently differetn from your octave-
forge version.

> I also tried to compile octave-forge, but even that doesn't
> seem to be easy..

Well, if you have sources declared, it can be as easy as
    $ apt-get --compile source octave-forge

Dirk

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all signatures are totally worthless.