Re: Octave from C/C++

From: Ben Harris
Subject: Re: Octave from C/C++
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:10:12 -0500

Sounds familiar to me, I get the same reaction from our students. But old
school matlab users should be comfortable with the octave interface. Only
in recent years have the bells and whistles been added to MATLAB.

The only GUI capability I could really use found in modern MATLAB is
interactive debugging. That is, the ability to set a breakpoint using the
cursor. And the ability to step through code interactively. Anyone aware of
such a feature using Emacs or G-Octave?

Regards,
Ben

                      Agustin Barto

                      <address@hidden        To:       Ben Harris
<address@hidden>
                      .edu>                    cc:       "address@hidden"
<address@hidden>

                      09/30/2002 10:24

                      AM

I use emacs w/ octave as well but on Linux. I can't expect the users of
the windows version to learn a whole new concept in text editors :)

Right now I don't have much time for a project as big as a gui for
octave, but next year I'll try to come up with something. I've been
reading the octave source code and it doesn't look so hard (or at least
I hope it isn't :)

Although the current status of the octave ui is fine for me, there's a
lot of people that rejects it just because it doesn't LOOK like matlab
(I love to answer to that comments with "Well, If you love matlab so
much, go out an buy it"). I'd like that to stop.

Agustin

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 00:54, Ben Harris wrote:

> Hello Agustin,
>
> I didn't see a reply.... I have wanted this MATLAB-like benefit as well.
> have been working with Octave under Xemacs (in Windows). You can't
inspect
> variables but you can run Octave as a subprocess in an Xemacs window. You
> can also send code excerpts from one window (containing for example a .m
> file) to the Octave sub-process.
>
> However I haven't found anything better than this.... any bites?
>
> Ben
>

>                       Agustin Barto

>                       <address@hidden        To:
"address@hidden" <address@hidden>