Re: I NEED HELP: Differences between MATLAB and Octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: I NEED HELP: Differences between MATLAB and Octave
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 02:24:59 -0400

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 02:25:17PM -0500, Marco Boni wrote:
> The simple code I've attached to this mail runs very fast under Matlab,
> while it is executed very slow under Octave.
>
> Why? Where I've failed!

For-loops in octave are embarrassingly slow.  You have nested
forloops (one in your code, and one in hist).  Both are probably
removable with a bit of cleverness.

For example, in hist:

        for i = 1:n-1
                cutoff (i) = (x (i) + x (i + 1)) / 2;
        endfor

is simply translated into

        cutoff = ( x(1:n-1) + x(2:n) ) / 2;

The next loop in hist.m is more tricky:

        freq(1) = sum(y < cutoff (1));
        for i = 2:n-1
                freq (i) = sum (y >= cutoff (i-1) & y < cutoff (i));
        endfor
        freq(n) = sum (y >= cutoff (n-1));

You can get part way there with sort:

        [s, idx] = sort ( [cutoff(:); y(:)] );
        pt = [0; idx > n; 0];

This gives you a sequence of 0's and 1's where the zeros represent
bin boundaries and the ones represent bin contents.  Because sort
is 'stable' all y values which are identical to an x value will
appear after the x value, so the semi-open [x-1, x) logic will
be preserved.  The leading and trailing zeros capture all the y's
which are not otherwise in a bin.

Using cumulative sum, you can turn the ones into frequency counts

        chist = cumsum(pt);

But you only need the counts at the bin boundaries:

        chist = s(find(diff(chist) == 0));

Now you have a 'cumulative histogram'.  Differentiate it and you
should have the histogram:

        freq = diff(chist);

I may messed up something along the way, but hopefully you get
the idea.  Could you fix it, test it and submit it to bug-octave?

Since you are dealing with really large numbers of bins (up to 2^20 if
I'm reading your code correctly), fixing hist should address most of
the speed problems.

You can also remove a number of statements outside of your for loop,
but that probably won't gain you very much.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden