octave engine interface

From: MCINTYRE Craig
Subject: octave engine interface
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:04:55 +1000 (EST)

Hi there,

Not being able to find an answer to my questions I thought I'd try here:

I'm new to Octave and am unsure of some of its functionality. What I am
requiring is an interface to the engine of a mathematical package like
Octave (or Matlab) from a Linux C++ application. The purpose of this is to
allow an operator to transform some input data using standard octave
commands typed into a GUI. The rest of the application would then work with
the transformed data. Hence, I am after some means which gives the user a
great deal of control over how the data is transformed without the
application having to know anything about the transformation - it just needs
to work with the transformed data. Naturally, this needs to happen on the
fly.

So my question is this: Does Octave have this functionality to allow an
external application send it text strings comprising octave commands and
return the results back to the calling application? If so, where can I start
looking for information on this topic (I'm yet to find anything myself).
Alternatively, if Octave doesn't have this capability, are there any other
solutions out there that fit my bill? Ideally, the tool would be free.

Many thanks,
Craig.

----
Craig McIntyre