unix hidden in windows

From: Itzak Ademic
Subject: unix hidden in windows
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:42:21 -0600

I have just installed Octave in a Win98SE system.
It's wonderful!  I plan to finally learn MATLAB.
Before all that, I have a question about the
configuration of directories/folders,
GNUPlot and other UNIX tools tucked inside
my Programs\GNU \Octave directory.
I plan to install other open-source ports
and wonder if they can cooperate and use
a common set of tools or whether that would
just cause another form of "DLL Hell"?
In particular,  how can I move / reconfigure
GNUPlot, CYGWIN, etc. to be out from under
the Octave directory?  Was it setup that way for
a good reason, or did I inadvertently do this myself?
TIA