Re: using a function as a parameter

From: William Kreamer
Subject: Re: using a function as a parameter
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:21:24 -0500

The method of passing a function and plotting it is pretty well spelled out
in the Octave documentation. Here is an example:

q=0;  # A dummy statement --  if the first statement of an Octave script
starts with
         # "function", the whole script will be interpreted as a function
function y = xpto(x)
     y = x .* x;    # Remember to end a statement with a semicolon, unless
you actually
                       # want to see the data. Also, the period in the
statement is very important
endfunction
x = (0:0.05:3)';   # Octave plots data that is assembled in arrays or
matrices
y = xpto(x);
gset grid;
axis([min(x) max(x) 0 10]);
plot(x,y)          # Octave then pipes the data to gnuplot, where it is
displayed

To calculate the first derivative, use the formula (dy/dx) = (f(x +
deltax) - f(x))/ deltax
What I wrote is NOT Octave code, but the basic formula. Have f(x) tabulated
as an array, and the formula will calculate the derivative as another array.