Re: Compilation problem / octave-2.0.16 / movie / mpeg question

From: Michael W. Martin
Subject: Re: Compilation problem / octave-2.0.16 / movie / mpeg question
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:53:43 -0600

On Thursday, February 21, 2002, at 05:09 AM, SA wrote:
(2) Is there any movie / animation facility in octave?

        I personally do not know of one.

Would a octave->gnuplot->framestore->imagemagik->mpeg movie
approach be sensible  and could I code this via an octave mfile without
delving into the octave source?

I would think so. Octave has a 'system' command which allows you to use Unix commands. It also has gplot commands that allow you ti drive gnuplot directly. Between those two you should be able to make it work.

Is there a way of sucking a bitmap back from a gnuplot window and
displaying it from octave in a sensible way (ie could I use this
to provide the equivalent of M(i)=getframe to build a movie?).

Yes. In the imagemagick package there is an 'import' command that allows one to grab a copy of any Xwindow's contents and turn it into a ppm (portable pix map). I am not convinced this is the best way to do that, but it is certainly one possibility. Another is that gnuplot can output plots to a file. So you could have gnuplot display the plot and then output the plot to a postscript file, for example, and then convert the postscript file into MPEG format (via 'convert').

Mind you I have not tried this myself, but I would think it could be made to work.

Michael W. Martin                   Phone: (281) 333-2177
Draper Laboratory                   FAX:   (281) 333-5276
2200 Space Park Dr.                 EMail: address@hidden
Houston, TX 77058                   WWW: http://www.jsc.draper.com/
USA                                 Mail Code: EG/Draper