Re: Octave-Forge on OS X

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge on OS X
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:21:33 +0100

I got (most of) the octave-forge stuff up and running, a quick scan tells me that the following stuff wasn't installed:

./extra/engine/NOINSTALL
./extra/fake-sparse/NOINSTALL
./extra/mex/NOINSTALL
./extra/patches/NOINSTALL
./extra/perl/NOINSTALL
./extra/tk_octave/NOINSTALL
./extra/ver20/NOINSTALL
./extra/Windows/NOINSTALL
./main/audio/NOINSTALL
./main/image/NOINSTALL
./main/linear-algebra/NOINSTALL
./main/plot/NOINSTALL
./main/sparse/NOINSTALL
./nonfree/gpc/NOINSTALL
./nonfree/splines/NOINSTALL

Some of those are disabled by default, some because they didn't compile on *first try* and some because I don't have XWindows installed on that machine.

It is a matter of working around the same bugs in Apples devtools as with octave itself. This should all be set correctly in mkoctfile **except** for the libstc++ bug that requires you to extract all the .o from libstdc++.a and link them explicitly. I did some poking around and pinpointed libstdc++/cstrmain.o as the problem.

Try this: add an extra directory somewhere and inside that dir, do "ar -x /usr/lib/libstdc++.a". Then add that directory to "objfiles" in mkoctfile.

Follow the instructions for installing octave-forge. (I had to run "make install" in each of the subdirs to get install to work)

That should be it, but I'm writing from memory with the aid of some sketchy notes I took;-)

I'll attach part of my mkoctfile to serve as an example.

HTH,
Per

PS. If you do get it to work, let me know.

-----
#! /bin/sh
#
# mkoctfile -- create a .oct file suitable for dynamic linking by
# Octave.

# Exit immediately on any error.

set -e

# Default values for these variables are filled in when Octave is
# compiled.

: ${CPPFLAGS="-no-cpp-precomp -I/sw/include"}
: ${INCFLAGS="-I/sw/include/octave-2.1.35 -I/sw/include/octave-2.1.35/octave -I/sw/include"}
: ${F2C="f2c"}
: ${F2CFLAGS=""}
: ${F77=""}
: ${FFLAGS=""}
: ${FPICFLAG="-fPIC"}
: ${CC="cc"}
: ${CFLAGS="-g -O2 -Wall"}
: ${CPICFLAG="-fPIC"}
: ${CXX="c++"}
: ${CXXFLAGS="-g -O2 -Wall"}
: ${CXXPICFLAG="-fPIC"}
: ${XTRA_CFLAGS=""}
: ${XTRA_CXXFLAGS="-fno-coalesce-templates -fno-implicit-templates"}

: ${DEPEND_FLAGS="-M"}
: ${DEPEND_EXTRA_SED_PATTERN=""}

: ${SH_LD="c++"}
: ${SH_LDFLAGS="-bundle -bundle_loader /sw/bin/octave"}

: ${ALL_FFLAGS="$FFLAGS"}

: ${ALL_CFLAGS="$INCFLAGS $XTRA_CFLAGS $CFLAGS"}

: ${ALL_CXXFLAGS="$INCFLAGS $XTRA_CXXFLAGS $CXXFLAGS"}

# Local variables.

usage_msg="usage: mkoctfile [options] file ..."

cfiles=
ccfiles=
f77files=
objfiles=~/Documents/source/sandbox/examples/liba/cstrmain.o
octfiles=
octfile=
incflags=
defs=