Re: Windows and dynamically linked files

From: Roberto Hernandez
Subject: Re: Windows and dynamically linked files
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 20:14:31 -0300

Douglas Eck wrote:

[cc replies  to address@hidden please]

Hello all,

I downloaded 2.1.35 and a fresh install of cygwin. I did a
./configure and a make and everything compiled. However,
if I cd into SRC/examples and try to build an oct file
I get a slew of undefined references. I don't have a way to get
the output from my laptop onto the machine I"m typing from.
But there are many failed references, such as to Array<octave_value>::
~Array(void) which I suppose is in liboctave.a

I've ensured that liboctave.a, libcruft.a and liboctinterp.a are all
visible but the linker doesn't seem to link to them. I read that perhaps
I need
to do ./configure --enable-shared but then the build fails
with undefined references in some of the fortran libs. For example
[from the output from make]
c++ -shared -o libcruft.so.2.1.35  [lots of obj files]
yields hundreds of failed references to, eg,  s_copy, s_wsfi, do_fio
e_wsfi

You do need to include "--enable-shared". I can confirm that much.

-----------------------------
1) libtool (along with autoconf and automake) are really only for
developer use.  If you don't already have a good understanding of
how to use the tools -- and experience using them on a "normal"
unix platform -- then you probably DON'T want to "learn" with this
port.  The combination of
   a) the brain dead DLL format (compared to elf shared libs)
   b) still evolving shared lib support in the binutils/gcc/cygwin
   c) the VERY beta status of libtool-devel
   d) the wacky -stable/-devel/wrapper structure we are forced to
      use means that cygwin is NOT a good platform to "learn how to
      use the autotools".

PLEASE do not ask for tutorials on automake/autoconf/libtool use
on the cygwin mailing list -- you will either be ignored, or mocked.

Perhaps I need to build a shared version of libstdc++?
I think I'm missing something obvious here... any suggestions?

I'm also interested in using dynamically linked functions in Octave under Windows. Unfortunately, I'm far from "developer" status. I might devote some time in the near future to try to get that running, but I'm not sure what the results will be.

If you make any progress in that area, please report it to the list, I'm sure there's many more who could benefit.

Regards,

Roberto.