partial solution for "help -i" under windoz; how to change "dir" topmost

From: Lorenzo Fiorentini
Subject: partial solution for "help -i" under windoz; how to change "dir" topmost node?
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 13:43:58 +0100

Hello, I have succesfully installed Octave under Windoz, then I have worked out
a hack to make the "help -i" command work (which I want to share for other M$Wz
users)

Finally I need support to recover the "dir" file in the info directory, which i
have probably corrupted

SOLUTION, here is the story:
0- I read somewhere that the "help -i" pbm has been identified in:
        a) missing info executable
        b) wrong format of the octave.info-* files (or info can't manage
multiple, or they have to be concatenated)
1- download info.exe version 2.18 from
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Khan_Mumit/ports/info-2.18-cygb20.exe.gz,
  installed OK, solved)
2- now some "* items" in the info files actually do work (so the format isn't
that bad)
3- I cat-ted all info files with the attached DOS batch file (save and run it
in the info dir), thus making the octave-all.info file (which is ok, see 7)
4- ...but launching info from DOS still reads the same old octave.info file
(same partial result) ...
5- ...so I edited the "dir" file, trying to change the supposed pointer
(octave) into (octave-all) [used DOS "edit.exe" editor)
6- but doing so corrupted something, since now (even after switching back to
(octave) there) launching info gives the error:
        INFO.EXE: Cannot find the node "Top".
7- BTW the concatenated octave-all.info file seems to work perfectly, as you
can see launching "info --file octave-all.info". From Octave you can then
change the INFO_FILE variable in the startup as
follows: INFO_FILE = "/usr/local/info/octave-all.info"; now help -i works
PERFECT!

MY PROBLEM: Still I need to fix the .../info/dir file (attached too). Could
please someone explain what is the problem, and explain me how to make the
Octave link point to octave-all.info instead of
octave.info?

Thank you very much
Lorenzo