Empty list constructs

From: Roberto Hernandez
Subject: Empty list constructs
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 08:07:29 -0300

Hey everyone,

I would like to ask for some suggestions on how to implement a very
common construct. Suppose I use a loop to create a string matrix
containing a list of file names. What I would normally do is to
initialize the matrix to an empty list and append a line in each loop.

The problem with this approach is that I get warnings (see example
attatched at the end) when appending the first line. I know I can turn
off the warning by setting "empty_list_elements_ok = 1". But the fact
that there is a warning at all implies that there is a more correct way
of doing this.

If so, I'm obviouly missing it. Any suggestions?

TIA,

Roberto

-----------------------------------
octave:27> fileList = "";
octave:28> fileList = [fileList; "foo"]
warning: empty matrix found in matrix list near line 28, column 13
warning: near line 28, column 10:

 >>> fileList = [fileList; "foo"]

warning: empty matrix found in matrix list
warning: near line 28, column 10:

 >>> fileList = [fileList; "foo"]

fileList = foo