Re: Announcement: Automatic ATLAS support under Debian GNU/Linux

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: Announcement: Automatic ATLAS support under Debian GNU/Linux
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 07:51:55 -0600

  "Jon" == Jonathan Drews <address@hidden> writes:
  Jon>  On Monday 12 November 2001 17:20, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
  Dirk> ATLAS can lead to very dramatic speed increases (up to a factor of
  Dirk> ten, see below for simple examples) for common linear algebra
  Dirk> operations.  The ability to use these optimised libraries along with
  Dirk> either R or Octave without having to compile any code is probably a
  Dirk> first among Linux, and Unix, distributions.

  Jon>  This is really terrific Dirk!
  Jon>
  Jon>  Are there *.deb packages for this? Is it possible to use the software

Well you need at least the corresponding atlas2 package(s) for your
architecture, plus the octave2.1 package(s) and all their dependents.

You could start from http://packages.debian.org and use the search facility
(make sure you set distribution to "any" or "unstable").

  Jon> utility alien to import the packages to RedHat and Mandrake? Any Red

Theoretically alien should be able to do this.

I'd be surprised if it worked "automatically" in practice, though. This uses
a few of the finer points of package management, and these things do not work
across distributions.

  Jon> Hat or Mandrake people know how to do this? I am SuSE user but I know
  Jon> a friend who would love to have this on his Red Hat boxes, at work.

There's never been a better time to try Debian. The price is right too.

Dirk

--
Better to have an approximate answer to the right question
than a precise answer to the wrong question. -- John Tukey