Processing image files?

From: Phil Cummins
Subject: Processing image files?
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:44:46 +0900

Hello,

  I am wondering if there are any utilities for low-level
processing of image data. My problem is this:
  I have some very large images which contain sparse
data that I want to convert to x-y coordinates - i.e.,
I want the x,y coordinate of all the green pixels, x,y
coordinates of all the red pixels, etc., in the image.
Although the image itself can be very large, the amount
of colored pixels is small. So, e.g., the images compress
very well. Ideally, what I'd like to have is an octave
routine which would read in the jpeg files, and return x,y
coordinate arrays for pixels cooresponding to a given
color - preferably something that wouldn't have to
decompress the image since they are large.
  Can anyone please tell me if such a package already
exists, or if something similar might exist that I
could use as a base for writing my own routines?
  Many thanks.

P.S. If someone knows of a good commercial package
   (e.g., Windows) which might do this I would also
   be grateful if you could tell me, but perhaps you
   would want to reply to me personally rather than
   using the octave list. We already have one commercial
   program, but because of it's limited capabilities I
   am looking into the possibility of "rolling my own".
Phil R Cummins                             address@hidden
Research Program for Plate Dynamics        tel(i/d):81/0-468-67-9771
IFREE/JAMSTEC, 2-15 Natsushima-cho         fax(i/d):81/0-468-67-9775
Yokosuka 237-0061, Japan