mexcdf/netcdf license

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: mexcdf/netcdf license
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 09:18:53 -0500

Mark,

I used matlab to decode the files.

The mex interface in the octave-forge CVS compiles the mexcdf53
interface.  (It doesn't install properly in the most recent tarball, but I
will have a new one out Real Soon Now).  I did not test it.  The m-files
use varargin and varargout which will need to be converted by hand.

License for mexcdf53.c:

 *      Fair Use:
 *              This software, named "mexcdf53", may be used freely on
 *              condition that this NOTICE be displayed prominantly and
 *              in its entirety on all copies of the software, as well
 *              as on all copies of software that has been derived from
 *              this software.  Furthermore, this software requires the
 *              UCAR/Unidata NetCDF library, whose conditions on proper
 *              credit, distribution, and use must be acknowledged and
 *              honored fully.

The m-files are copyright the same author (at least the ones that I checked),
but do not name a license.  Write the author for clarification.  Also write the
author for a tarball of the files since without a license granting explicit
rights
for redistribution, I am not free to forward my copy to you.

The netcdf files have the following license:

* Access and use of this software shall impose the following obligations
* and understandings on the user. The user is granted the right, without
* any fee or cost, to use, copy, modify, alter, enhance and distribute
* this software, and any derivative works thereof, and its supporting
* documentation for any purpose whatsoever, provided that this entire
* notice appears in all copies of the software, derivative works and
* supporting documentation.  Further, UCAR requests that the user credit
* UCAR/Unidata in any publications that result from the use of this
* software or in any product that includes this software. The names UCAR
* and/or Unidata, however, may not be used in any advertising or publicity
* to endorse or promote any products or commercial entity unless specific
* written permission is obtained from UCAR/Unidata. The user also
* understands that UCAR/Unidata is not obligated to provide the user with
* any support, consulting, training or assistance of any kind with regard
* to the use, operation and performance of this software nor to provide
* the user with any updates, revisions, new versions or "bug fixes."

Unfortunately, this includes the dreaded "advertising clause" plus an
additional publishing clause which RMS's legal team in their wisdom
deem it to be incompatible with the GPL.  I've heard various opinions
on whether or not you can link and use such software for your own
use.  The fact that the GPL'd code is calling code with an incompatible
license rather than the other way around will in some opinions even
make it legitimate to redistribute linked binaries.  However, until this is
tested
court we are all walking blind.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden