Re: Reading netcdf files

From: Douglas Eck
Subject: Re: Reading netcdf files
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 09:18:31 +0100

Mark Esplin wrote:

Doesn't the mex interface compile from "c/c++" source to an octave "oct" file? I have been unable to find the source for mexcdf53 on the web. The closest that I could find was the file mexcdf53_install.p that was supposed to contain the source, but it is in MathCad p-code format. Is the mexcdf interface proprietary?
                        Thanks,

Mark Esplin

Mex files do not compile directly into .oct files. But the syntax for
the mex interface is similar to the syntax for liboctave (the .oct interface).
There has been disucssion about writing a converter but it's an open issue.

If you can get the mex source code, myself and others could take a look
at it and provide pointers (sorry, "references"... this is c++ ;-)

Pardon me if this has already been mentioned (I seem to be entering the
discussion late), but have you tried getting the Matlab NetCDF tools to
work with octave?  You can get them at
http://crusty.er.usgs.gov/~cdenham/MexCDF/nc4ml5.html

I remember installing them for matlab, but I never tried using them with
octave.

We have one professor here in my department who is a big believer in both
Octave and NetCDF.  I forwarded this issue to him to see if he might have
any suggestions.

Good luck.

- Stephen W. Juranich address@hidden Electrical Engineering http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic University of Washington http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli

I was able to compile the mexcdf53 routine with my mex interface.  In the
process I had to fix a couple of install bugs so grab the new version of
octave-forge I'm putting out later today.  I haven't tested anything.

I'm attaching my modified Makefile.  I did not have to touch the C code.
I installed netcdf to /home/pkienzle/netcdf.

You will need to replace vararg handling with Octave's variable argument
handling in the m-files.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden

Dr. Douglas Eck, http://www.idsia.ch/~doug
Istituto Dalle Molle di Studi sull'Intelligenza Artificiale (IDSIA)
Neural Networks, Rhythm Perception and Production, Dynamical Systems