Re: integration using Quad or Simpsons 1/8th or Trapezoid of a data fil

From: Thomas Shores
Subject: Re: integration using Quad or Simpsons 1/8th or Trapezoid of a data file!!
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 15:40:08 -0600

Hendrik Naumann wrote:

Absolutely right!   I not only forgot to allow for this, but should have

pointed out that the data has to be sorted with respect to the abscissa
first or my suggestion will give really wacko results.  Of course, one
way to take care of all these problems is to  follow David Doolin's
suggestion and regress the data.   If there are very many repititons of
abscissa (x-values), then this would probably be the most sensible thing

to do.  If your regression curve is sufficiently complex, you might
prefer to define your own function file for the regression curve and use

quad on it (or the trapezoidal rule with, say, equally spaced
abscissas).

Tom Shores