Newbie troubles with octave's C++ interface.

From: Stephen W. Juranich
Subject: Newbie troubles with octave's C++ interface.
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:40:43 -0700

I'm having a real hard time getting some extremely trivial code to compile
using the octave libaries.  I have attached the code that I'm trying to
compile.  I'm setting up the include and link paths via a make file. Here's
the end results that I'm getting:

condor (.testcode)$ make
Compiling octave_matrix.o...
/g/scs/sw/bin/g++ -c  -I/g/ssli/research/SunOS/include octave_matrix.cc -o
octave_matrix.o
/g/scs/sw/bin/g++ -L/g/ssli/research/SunOS/lib/octave -loctave -loctinterp
-lcruft octave_matrix.o -o octave_matrix
Array<double>::~Array(void)         octave_matrix.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to octave_matrix
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [octave_matrix] Error 1

I'm pretty sure that liboctinterp.a and libcruft.a don't need to be there, but
I put them there anyway and it didn't help the problem.  The linker says it
can't find the deconstructors for the specific instances of the arrays.  I was
looking through the header files and it looks like the everything should be
fine.

Am I way off on the stuff that needs to be #included and linked in?  I looked
long and hard for some simple examples, but I couldn't find any.  I'd be happy
to maybe post some of these simple files that I create as a kind of newbie
guide.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Stephen W. Juranich                             address@hidden
Electrical Engineering             http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic