emacs octave support for XEmacs under windows 2000

From: alanrockwood
Subject: emacs octave support for XEmacs under windows 2000
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 19:24:54 -0000

Hi all,

I have obtained the octave support files for emacs (octave-mod.el,
octave-inf.el, and octave-hlp.el). They were hard to find, but I
managed to find a couple of versions. The latest version of octave-
mod.el I have was the one modified Feb 29, 2000. I copied them into
the following directories:

c:\my programs\xemacs\xemacs-packages\lisp\octave
c:\my programs\xemacs\xemacs-packages\lisp\prog-modes

I copied the following lines from the octave manual into the my
init.el file:

(autoload 'octave-mode "octave-mod" nil t)
(setq auto-mode-alist
        (cons '("\\.m$" . octave-mode) auto-mode-alist))

(add-hook 'octave-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (abbrev-mode 1)
            (auto-fill-mode 1)
            (if (eq window-system 'x)
               (font-lock-mode 1))))

I also tried it with these lines in my .XEmacs file. The system is
finding both .XEmacs and init.el just fine.

I am running XEmacs in native mode under windows 2000.

Here's my problem. When I open an "m" file I get the following
message:

File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load
file" "octave-mod")

Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to fix this?