Question about the list object.

From: Mats Jansson
Subject: Question about the list object.
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 23:32:26 +0200

If this has been discussed before, please point me to the discussion.

If 'l' is a list, 'l(1)' returns a list of length 1. This is logical
because e.g. 'l(1:3)' must return a list. I thought the assignment
'l(1) = list (1)' should assign the value 1 to the first element of
the list, but it doesn't. In fact 'l(1) = l(1)' changes the list 'l'.

Is this a desired behavior?

Regards
Mats

octave:82> l = list (1, 2, 3)
l =
(
  [1] = 1
  [2] = 2
  [3] = 3
)
octave:83> l(1) = l(1)
l =
(
  [1] =
  (
    [1] = 1
  )
  [2] = 2
  [3] = 3
)
octave:84> l(1:2) = list ("a", "b")
error: invalid conversion from range to real scalar
error: octave_base_value::int_value (): wrong type argument `range'
error: list index must be an integer
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 84, column 8
octave:84>