Re: Matcompat's datenum.m weirdness

From: James Howard
Subject: Re: Matcompat's datenum.m weirdness
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:50:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, E. Joshua Rigler wrote:

> This definitely supports my theory that any/all date and time functions
> should be written from scratch, and not be dependent on C/C++'s
> libraries, which are not intended for science or engineering work.  At
> the very least a correction should be made to the current routine for
> timezone errors.

No, that would not be the correct behavior.  When I want to know what time
it is for a scientific application (say, the orbit tracking I was working
on yesterday), the time must be GMT.  In general, I do not care when the
local time is, except for knowing when to watch The West Wing.  Most any
computer should always deal with the time in GMT.

That said, datenum should take a timezone argument.  It may, but I cannot
find this on my installation.

Jamie