Re: FFT documentation

From: Sengupta Sourav
Subject: Re: FFT documentation
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 04:10:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Roberto,

In case you managed to use FFT in octave , please let me know how ? and if any more downloads are required. I haven't used Octave in some time now, since i couldn't get the DFT/FFT routines to run , no matter what i tried. The thing with MEX routines too din't work for me. So i'm really looking forward to your reply as to how to get FFT running in Octave

Regarding your question as to which approach to adopt in case the sequence is not a radix 2, I personally prefer the zero padding approach, as it can still exploit the speed of FFT, instead of goin in for DFT.

Regards and thanks in advance,

Sourav Sengupta

  Roberto_Hernández <address@hidden> wrote:

The FFT algorithm was designed for signals with a number of samples that is
an integer power of two. In case the number of samples isn't a power of two
there are two options: 1. zero-pad or truncate the signal, 2. use the DFT
algorithm which is much slower, but works for any number of samples.

I havent found any mention in the FFT function documentation as to which
approach is taken in this case. Does anyone know?

Roberto Hernandez
address@hidden