NT, Octave and Cygwin

From: Craig Stoudt
Subject: NT, Octave and Cygwin
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:48:53 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings,

Does anyone know how to get the windows port of octave
(2.1.31) and the cygwin package to peacefully coexist
under Windows NT4.0?

It appears that the windows port of octave and the
cygwin package mount "/" to different directories.
The octave port mounts "/" to the path to the octave
root directory, while cygwin mounts it to the
"cygwin/bin" directory.  The mount is set in the NT
registry, and can be set to one value at a time.  This
leads to some unexpected behavior.  For example, after
installing cygwin, launching octave, and executing the
command "path," you get:

"path undefined near line 1 col 1"

If you "force" the issue by changing the directory to
/octave/..../miscellaneous and then execute path, you
get:

LOADPATH contains the following directories:

  error: `strrep' undefined near line 44 column 17
error: evaluating index expression near line 44,
column 17
error: evaluating binary operator `<<' near line 44,
column 14
error: evaluating binary operator `<<' near line 44,
column 48
error: evaluating if command near line 42, column 5
error: evaluating if command near line 41, column 3
error: called from `path' in file
`/cygdrive/c/GNU/octave/usr/local/share/octave
/2.1.31/m/miscellaneous/path.m'

Mounting  the octave root to "/" solves this problem,
but then the cygwin package does not operate properly.

I worked around this problem by writing some shell
scripts that set up the proper mount for cygwin or
octave.  This allows me to run either one, but I
cannot run them simultaneously without lots of
unexpected behavior.  Does anyone know how to set up
the mounts so that I can run octave and cygwin simultaneously?

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/